Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tis the Season-Day 13-DIRTY THREE - Everything's fucked (live)



This may be a three parter, there's a lot to cover, first of the band, Warren Ellis is a member of the Bad Seeds and this is a band from down under, guitar-violins-drums and it's absolutely fucking gorgeous, somehow i got to see them live during the Ocean Songs or Horse Stories tour cuz for some odd reason they came through Pittsburgh, played on beautiful summer night to about 40 people and put on one hell of a show, Mr. Ellis is quite the showman and as musicians these guys are incredible, if you ever get to see them i highly recommend it but truth be told i don't even know if they are around anymore as a group, they all have other bands but it's been awhile since the Dirty Three has done anything new, this song is from their second album i believe which is self titled, it ranks third on my favorite records by the group with the two aforementioned records above being in a dead heat for favorite...

See this was the band i spent more than a few nights to nodding in and out of consciousness, back in my mid 20's i began to dabble in what we call the black arts cuz i'm a firm believer in trying anything once or maybe a dozen times depending you know, i had done my research and went into my experiments with the utmost respect, heroin was not something to be fucked with and for those who did fuck around with it, well they learned the hard way, yet i was always interested and did my fair share just to see where it could take me and i understand in no uncertain terms why people get hooked, it's the closest you can get as an adult to being back in the womb, in fact i used to tell people it felt like i was laying in one of those fluffy white clouds that was filled with warm water, tingling and numb and somewhere between dreams and the living world, see most people hear the word and immediately think junkie and of course i understand why, i've had more than my fair share of bad experiences with skag-heads but i also found it fascinating to sit in rooms and talk to these people, remember a conversation with a beautiful girl who was in awe of the fact that i didn't do it every day, i explained that i might do it once a week, explained to her that you had to understand what you were getting yourself into and be prepared to show discipline and restraint, she could barely get high anymore at the time, her habit was to maintain, to ward off illness and i told her where's the fun in that really... so it was back in those days i'd sit in my room, the same room that i carried pizza boxes full of weed to, i'd shut the door and look out into the backyard, a bit of green in a sea of concrete, hear the birds, do a bump or two and turn on the Dirty Three, wait for the rush and sit and stare out the window, i'd lay down and nod off, or maybe i'd chase the dragon, smoke a bit and attempt to paint my horrible paintings but mainly i would listen to these two albums over and over, alone in my room, alone with my thoughts and content, of course i don't advise this for anyone but i'm a special case and yes at some point you'll read about these days in the Wilderness Years...

Of course there is a song on Horse Stories called Hope and it was the song that was played for the first dance between bride and groom some years back, now this begins treading into delicate territory and i'll just state that very soon after things went pear shaped but that story will get it's own treatment someday, let's just say that it dawned on me that this song may have been more appropriate, my relationship with women has always been tenuous at best and when the two who you loved and trusted the most bury the knife the deepest, well you don't know what to do really, that though will be discussed at length here i'm sure at some point, one has been already been addressed in Late Night Maudlin Street, the other you'll just have to wait for, until then sit back, score some class A's and enjoy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's a mystery to me why we don't let the painfully terminally ill choose to go out on such white, fluffy clouds, with the soundtrack of their choosing booming into the room...

The Unbearable Banishment said...

Probably the only reason I never did heroin is that back then, the needle was the only way to ingest it and I have a phobia with needles. Today, the stuff is so powerful that you can just sniff it. That probably would have been a problem if it has been an option.

[Here's where I betray my age, somewhat.}

I remember sitting in my car one night with the engine off in a weed induced stupor with Paul McCartney's Band on the Run playing in my 8-track tape machine. I passed out and when I woke, it was daylight. That tape looped over and over all night and now that album is burned into my head in a bad way.

sybil law said...

I am still so, so glad I never did heroin. Saw a lot of people let coke ruin their lives, and I definitely did a lot of it, but than God I always had some sense of... sense, I guess - about it.

nursemyra said...

I LOVE The Dirty Three - thanks for posting this Kono

Kono said...

Daisy- you and me both.

UB- you're right, it got easy to try and just as easy to get hooked, all these suburban kids didn't know what they were getting into, you didn't need a needle and it gave the illusion that it was safe, which it wasn't.

Sybil- i can honestly say i'm glad i tried everything, for better or worse, it was all an experiment to me, coke is a fucking trainwreck and believe me i know that up close and personal, i had respect for the downtwon, uptown not so much and it caught me a bit off guard. Of course that's another story...

Nursie- i love this band. thrilled i got to see them play live.